Friday, September 19, 2014

Five for Friday and FREE {Math} Write It! 3 Ways in 3 Days

Hi Everyone!  Happy Friday! I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday. 

I have been on our Fall Break, if you can believe that! I realize that Fall has not even officially started, so maybe they should call this a summer break. But that would be weird because we had a summer break already. Never mind that we started school on August 4th!

I stayed in town this week so here are a few things that happened around here.


{1}
I worked on some projects, one of which was a math activity. Some of my students needed a 2-digit version of my math scoots, so I put that together and decided to set it up as a FREEBIE in my store. I have added some pictures of my class doing a scoot three different ways so that you can see what it looks like in action.

Click HERE to see the FREE Trial Scoot of my Monthly Math Task Cards called, 


 Write It! Sample

My kids love it! 

Here is how it works. 
The students play Scoot, which is a game where the students move from desk to desk as they answer each task card on a recording sheet.
{Note: I realize that I am showing you the Easter version that we did last spring, however I forgot to take pics when we did the apple version of the game. The Easter eggs surely add some pizzaz! You could also have a treat at the end of the game since they are opening plastic eggs and finding the surprise of a number instead of candy.  :-) That way you can end it with a "wow" instead of a "wah-wah."} 

Quick Pics {Base Ten Drawings} ~ the first day

HOWEVER, it has a twist in that the kids have 3 opportunities to play the game. {I usually play a round a day with the days not necessarily in a row.} 
Therefore, I came up with the name, 

Expanded Form ~ another day

Each time they play, they record a different form of the number representation on a different recording sheet. The recording sheets are specific to the number representation that they are practicing. 

Word Form ~ another day
For example, the recording sheets for writing out the word form have long spaces to allow the students to write and see the numbers written in their entirety on a single line. (The kids will need that skill one day when they are grown and writing out checks. Wouldn't you agree?) 

Also, for the recording sheets, I copy "page 1" and "page 2" back to back. The expanded form pages have 3 versions for differentiation. Only one version, front and back, is included in the FREE version of the Fall Set in order to keep the file smaller. However, the FULL version of the Fall Set will be free as well, but will need to be added into a bundled set due to its size. (29 pages)

Here is the preview of the October set to show the different recording pages.

These activities are great for differentiation because the "slow-goers" seem to enjoy the process as well because the teacher is able to give immediate support to the students who need it. 

Here is the link to check them out in my store. My mom used to say, "Try it! You might like it!" She was usually referring to vegetables or something of that nature. She may have been quoting a commercial from days gone by for all I know. Nevertheless, it stuck with me!

Hopefully the repetitive practice with new designs and different numbers each month will help number representations stick with your kids. 

Let me know how you like the activity if you decide to download any of the versions. I would love to hear from you!

{2}
I met my sweet mother-in-law and daughter at Barnes in Noble one day and look what they were serving!

And look at the leaves on this tree...already! 

Yes, indeed it was 89 degrees that day.

{3}
My daughter performed in her first collegiate Wind Ensemble performance. They did a fantastic job! Like my daughter said at the beginning of the school year, "They are not messing around in college!" I could tell that they "mean business."


My daughter is in the back on the left. A percussion major. 

{4}
My two favs.

{5}

Leaving you with this clip of a lunchbox that now graces our classroom each day. Wow. Cool!



Now that you know five things from my week, check out the other teachers who are celebrating Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday.


Have a great day!
Carrie
from i Heart Second 
and The Think Aloud Cloud

2 comments:

  1. I love your math scoot! What a great idea to do it three different ways in three days.
    On the Go Teacher Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzy! It has definitely been a handy way to practice. Hopefully it will stick with the kids!

      Delete