Saturday, November 29, 2014

What If Teachers Were Treated Like Football Stars?

Have you seen that video yet? 

While the video is funny, you may find yourself thinking, "Wow, too bad that's not true!"

Well, good news! I know of a real-life example of teachers being "cheered on" in a BIG way. 
(Brought to you in a Five for Friday style.)

There is a "Teacher of the Year" Pep Rally that is hosted by the Business Leaders of our county. They invite all of the TOTYs from the schools in our district, the city schools, as well as the private schools and colleges that are located in the county. 

It is BIG! It is LOUD! It is FUN!! And...a little bit CRAZY!

Imagine this:
Loud, sports-jam music, 
a sea of pom poms,
cowbells "making some noise",
groups of happy students and administrators filling the place,
chants and cheers for each of the teachers,
students displaying handmade signs,
a REAL marching band,
and lots of cheerleaders. 

It is a REAL pep rally...for REAL teachers...for REAL! 

It is quite a sight to see. Quite an amazing sight.

How do I know all of this? 

My cute husband was voted the TOTY at his high school! 
Accepting his award

I am so very proud of him! He knows his math and science stuff AND he builds a good rapport with the students. For years, students and their parents have been telling me how much they like him as a teacher. He has a hard time believing that they think that highly of him. Maybe now he has an idea that it is true!

While I am also a teacher, I was there as a wife and a cheerleader for Dr. Jones. He was absolutely deserving of that award. I'm glad that I got to sit amongst his students and our family members to cheer for him.

As I took in the whole experience, I couldn't help but feel that the cheering, excitement, and fanfare was in honor of me and other teachers as well. As a matter of fact, I represent all of the other teachers out there who may or may not be voted as TOTY, but who teach with enthusiasm daily, have hearts of gold, and realize that teaching truly is a labor of love. 

So, my hat is off to every one of you teachers. I am including a short video (13 seconds) for you to see what it was like. I believe that you will think it is great! 

The small print...
(Disclaimer: This video is by no means professional. It was taken with my phone on the spur of the moment...like most of my photos. I am SO GLAD that we have cameras at our fingertips these days!)


I challenge you to pretend like you were there too and that the pep rally was for you too. (It really was...in a way. The businesses have been hosting this pep rally for 26 years now!)

If you would like a better feel for it, watch the second video (30 seconds).




Then, as you return to school after the Thanksgiving Break, let the video play in your head as you walk into the classroom on Monday morning, knowing that the students appreciate and love you even if they don't know how to show you or tell you. You are valued WAY more than any district could afford to pay you. 

As a matter of fact, maybe we should replay that video in our minds everyday. How would that impact our days? Weeks? Months? 

I am going to try it this week and I will let you know how it goes. 


{2}
The TOTY for my school is the wonderful Mrs. Wood. She is an unbelievable teacher with seemingly unending energy and kindness. I want to be like Mrs. Wood when I grow up. (Maybe I should tell Santa.)


{3}
A HUGE thank you to the businesses that put on this event. WOW! and thank you on behalf of all of the teachers who have had the privilege to be a part of the Pep Rally AND the breakfast. (There was also a spectacular breakfast before the Pep Rally for the teachers, their families, their administrators, and the business leaders. They even gave away lots of prizes.) I continue to be amazed as I recount the events of the day.

{4}
Another thing that may put a pep in your step is a sale on TPT! That always energizes me!

Here are the details:

The 20% off sale in my store will be starting Sunday in case you don't want to wait until Monday or Tuesday. Make sure to use the special code (TPTCYBER) at the checkout on Monday and Tuesday to get an extra 10% off of your order. That comes to a total of 28%!


{5}
Meanwhile, I posted a free Polar Express writing activity sample that may help you out this season. Feel free to check it out here. 

Now for some more Five for Friday posts. Click on this link to go to Doodle Bugs Teaching blog to see what other bloggers have to say this week. 
Thank you for stopping by!
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment